Wednesday, October 10, 2007

A Quick Review of 'Lone Survivor'


I was given this book as a birthday present from our good friends M&L. It came with their raving reviews so I quickly dove in.

I did not know it was going to be such an emotional ride as it details a real life account of four Navy SEALs in the mountains of Afghanistan. I regret the outcome of a single decision made by the group that led to the deaths of 19 special forces personnel. In my opinion and the opinion of the author, it resulted from the fear that the liberal news media would exploit the situation to serve a political agenda. Oh, by the way- the author is the only man that made it out alive. His story is incredible. It describes the toughest kind of decision a person can ever be asked to make; your lives and the success of your mission which could save thousands versus the lives of a few possibly innocent goat herders. (It turned out they weren't innocent)

There is also a stark contrast identified in the story between the ruthless, murdering Taliban and the indigenous tribes that harbored the wounded SEAL and defended him with their lives. I cannot imagine the human body taking so much punishment and surviving. I envy all that the SEALs and others like them stand for and are willing to do for our sakes and the good of the Nation.

Honestly, I have not settled out how I feel about the whole situation. Read it and I'd love to hear your opinion. BEWARE! The language of such hardened warriors is not always uplifting.

PS I don't have the clarity of writing to begin to address the problems with our sensationalist and negative media. I will only throw in one small golden nugget of history. During WWII, FDR implemented a domestic censorship code that banned the printing of any information that was deemed to be helpful to the enemy. Maybe that is not possible in the information age and it is perhaps, distasteful to democracies. But I believe it would save the lives of our young men and women fighting to defend freedom abroad. Here's an excellent link that describes the idea.

Secrets of Victory
The Office of Censorship and the American Press and Radio in World War II

by Michael S. Sweeney


That's all for now. Take care.

6 comments:

enginerd said...

Whereas a ban on certain writings seems to contradict the first ammendment, I have been thinking about our conversation. When did journalism become more of a "business" than a public service? Easy for me to say, but shouldn't they be more worried about protecting their people and their country, instead of "getting the story of their lives"? Its so disappointing that I have resolved to not reading a lot of what is out there unless I feel that the source is truly unbiased, accurate, balanced and sincere. Thanks for reading out loud at times, it was truly fascinating.

Emma Jo said...

That was me, not you. :)

Suebee said...

After you posted that you were reading that book on your website I read about it online. I look forward to actually reading it, though I worry about it being hard to deal with. I personally get emotional and especially angry over press coverage that I feel puts our military in danger, or makes them second guess their decisions in the heat of battle. I fear that is going to happen more and more in the future. Mistakes are made. Humans aren't perfect, even if they are expected to be. One of the things that I always appreciated from Rumsfeld was when he would tell the press,"I can't answer that, it would jeopardize our troops."

vk said...

Clarkie Poo,

Isn't that a manly name for such an important Man! But this is Aunt Verlinda and you have always been a special little guy to me. I read your blog and listen to your opinions and it is evident that you are all grown up. Just when did that happen? My love and prayers to you. I am glad that Emily is going to Utah. Good decision. Tell her to see Jerianne and let the girls play.

Love,
Aunt Verlinda

laurie said...

Hey Clark,
I am glad you enjoyed the book. I have to get Mike to read it now. I let my Dad borrow it.By the way that was a gift from Emily. I just recommended it. :)
Laurie

laurie said...

Let Mike know how you liked "Six Frigates". He sure seemed to enjoy it, I hope you do as well. He kept asking me sailing terms. :)