Thursday, February 1, 2007

A Quick Nolan Update



Our newest little sailor is doing even better than expected. I believe him to be driven by an unquenchable desire to show up his older brother...His inner monologue may say, "Naval Academy, I scoff at you! HA!" After three weeks of bearcrawling everywhere and burying yourself in sand multiple times a day, Nolan has passed his first major inspection with flying colors. The more physical phase is behind him as the hours he spends in class increases. He reports in a severely raspy voice that he is still sore, but his body is just now catching up, slowly. As I had a problem with laughing, I asked how creative and funny the drill sergeants are. He cracked a smile when one DI asked a candidate, "SON! HOW MANY EYEBROWS ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO HAVE!" Then proceeded to have him pretend to be Ernie while calling, "HEY, BURT, SIR!" All in all, he makes me proud.

So I hope you all are having a fine Navy day, because I'm sure Nolan is.

ps CORRECTION! it's Burt with the unibrow. oh well, even DIs make mistakes. Maybe Nolan should point that out to him.

3 comments:

Emma Jo said...

I can't stop laughing at that. I mean come on, if you can't have a good laugh about your unibrow with your DI, then who can?

mo said...

PKO's army basic training experiences with the sergeants make for the most fascinating studies of stupid human reasoning and behavior we have ever seen. Do they have a test to find these guys? I'm proud of Nolan. He rises to the top in whatever he does!

Suzie Petunia said...

How many push-ups would the guy have to do if he had tried correcting the DI? :)

Good job, Nolan! We're proud of you!