Monday, April 23, 2007

The Gun Issue (Excluding my arms)

I spend my days at the state-funded historically black university- Prairie View A&M University. Go Panthers! And several nights a weeks, for the last 2 years, are spent at the incredibly diverse University of Houston. Go Cougars! (Rumor has it THE James McCoy, shortly-to-be accomplished master architect is a distinguished alumni!) Since I spend the vast majority of my time at either institution of higher learning, I have been unexpectedly very affected by the recent massacre at Virginia Tech. I've experienced a myriad of emotions, probably similar to many others whose hearts ached to hear of such a senseless act.

The question occupying my mind is, "Was it avoidable?" Now, I know that it is fairly unproductive to sit here and point fingers or play the blame game; for we all know who is to blame- a mentally deranged, tormented soul named Cho. The only interest I have in rehashing such a horrible act is to gain some 'lessons learned' to prevent a similar atrocity from happening ever again.

I do not possess a membership card from the NRA, but I do whole-heartily support the 2nd amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America. Up until now, I would have said that a zero tolerance policy for firearms at certain locations, such as schools, is a good thing. But what has that done except create 'safe zones' for evil people to kill innocent people with little fear (at least in the short term) of reprisal. School shootings are on the rise. Why? Do the criminals consider the period of time that they will hold all the power of life and death? Likely.

Despite all the legislation and circuit breakers in place to keep guns out of the hands of evil people, how easy is it to get a gun illegally? -Surprisingly easy, I'm afraid. Therefore, the only people following the gun laws are laws-abiding citizens that have proven capable of opposing these madmen! Law enforcement personnel cannot be everywhere. Can we depend on them solely to keep us safe? Not for me and my family. If I can prevent some murderous crime, with or without a gun, I'm going to do it. So, VT-preventable?- I think not. Did 32 people need to die? No. One only need look to the numerous examples of responsibly armed citizenry preventing or minimizing crime, to include the shooting just a few months ago at Trolley Square Mall. Here's my final question: Who is glad that no one in that dorm or engineering building at Virginia Tech on Monday 4/16 at 9:00AM, or in Columbine High School several years ago, was lawfully carrying a concealed handgun?

As for me, I have not gained a testimony that this is one of those things we just need to submit to, knowing their occurrences are seldom, despite increasing. Does the Lord expect us to defend our families from evil and be prepared against the day both spiritually as well as physically?

12 comments:

enginerd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
enginerd said...

Let me clarify my recommendation. (no, I'm not advocating arming high schoolers or below) The current gun laws stand regarding age, eligibility, wait periods. Those who can legally carry must register with campus police and complete additional safety training. Thereby, not increasing the total number of guns or those who can carry- only eliminating the 'gun free' zones being targeted by madmen.

Carrie Ann said...

I agree that we don't need to sit back and "submit" to the fact that this type of gun violence is going to happen again and again. I am heartbroken over the events, too. I'm not sure where I "stand" on it yet, either. I am all for the 2nd ammendment, but not so crazy about concealed weapons permits. It's only going to take one "friendly fire" victim to convince a lot of people that allowing "amatures" to carry concealed weapons is not the best strategy. I wouldn't mind trained and armed on campus security, but even then, accidents happen.

Sad as it sounds, one of the best solutions I've heard so far is to include these types of emergency situations to our emergency drills. It breaks my heart to think of your darling daughters having to practice barracading a door and hiding under a desk, but that might be the safest defense.

Still, I appreciate your sensitivity and your opinion.

Abby said...

How many times have we actually heard of a bistander who happened to be carrying their concealed weapon coming to the rescue in an instance such as this one? I recently heard a conversation where a woman was saying she really wants to carry a gun in case she's ever in a situation like that. And I had no response. I just know I don't like that an incident like this made a mom decide she wants to carry a gun in her purse to protect the people around her. I do like your story about your friend who scared off the car-jacker though!

Emma Jo said...

Didn't we already have this conversation? You make a good point I think but I just can't condone so many inexperienced, possibly skittish people carrying guns...I don't want to walk through the mall thinking and worrying that people around me could be carrying a gun. Can't we just tackle them really hard?
I'm glad you take your protector role so seriously...when you are gone I sleep with a baseball bat under my pillow, really.

enginerd said...

Abby, there are more cases than you know. The Utah Mall shooting was limited to what it was by a bystander. Em, so you don't feel comfortable with people carrying concealed handguns? They're all around you right now, many of them criminals! I'm not changing the concealed handgun laws, only gun free zones.

Sarah said...

Although I am very opinionated on most topics, this one makes me sick to my stomach. I often feel like nothing we do, or don't do, will make the situation better. Arm teachers? What is a student steals the gun? I was a teacher...trust me, there are many that I wouldn't want to have a gun!

Sometimes I wish I were an ostrich.

Emma Jo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emma Jo said...

Let me rephrase so you don't get crazy people referred to your blog...what I meant to say was, does anyone else find it ironic and somewhat humorous that this Historically Black College's mascot is a panther?..was the college founded in the 60's by any chance?

Jay said...

I happen to agree with the original blog. Much better worded than I could do. I would like to point out one thing to try and ease the minds of our dear, sweet, concerned women. The license to carry a hand gun can (depending on where you live) be a real test, like earning a license to drive. We allow 16 year olds to drive (many are more dangerous with a car than a gun), but only after they have proven they are "worthy" to drive the car. A concealed weapons license can be the same way.

mo said...

I too, feel a bit skittish about a bunch of amateurs walking around with guns. The bystander with the gun in the Tolley Square shootings was an off-duty police officer who knew what he was doing and acted in a very professional manner. He knew enough to keep calling out that he was an officer so that the incoming police didn't mistake him for the shooter, and he was trained in how to approach him. He did make a difference in the number of people who were shot but I can't help believe it would not have been the same situation with a person not well trained. I'm scared to death of guns being kept in people's homes where children have access to them. I support the 2nd Ammendment but think it is too easy to get permission to buy a gun. If the rules had been a bit more stringent concerning mental illness and background checks, would this nut at Virginia Tech have been able to buy guns so easily? What a sad world we live in that we have to worry about these things. Since this is so disjointed anyway, can I just add that we as a society encourage violence among our youth (and others) with the terribly violent and realistic video games that have become an accepted part of of our recreation. You can't tell me that does not affect a person's thinking and tolerance for violence. Don't get me started....

CO said...

Much deference is being paid to the second amendment, but might that need some reconsideration? An armed citizenry today is quite a bit different from an armed citizenry would have meant in the late 18th century. Some historical conditions are perhaps the similar, but it strikes me that most have changed. Most notably, local, self-armed militias are clearly a thing of the past. If the founding fathers had been twenty-first century Americans, would they have felt the need to include this as a fundamental right?