Monday, September 17, 2007

It's Official, until they change.

The motto of the US Marines is Semper Fidelis. For those of you who don't speak yiddish, that means 'Always Faithful.' We, in the navy often time substitute this with Semper Gumbi- Always 'Flexible!'

There's also a reason they call them orders and not suggestions. They can change them at any time according to the needs of the service. But I am grateful to finally get my orders to the USS Annapolis (SSN-760) as the navigator, since I'm due to show up in about 6 weeks! We'll see if they change, but I don't expect them to.

I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't excited. Safe navigation of the ship is the obvious priority, but the navigator also takes responsibilities as the operations officer which expand my duties significantly. As a department head, I also work with the other two dept heads (Weapons Officer and Engineer) and report to the Commanding Officer via the Executive Officer. The work load is heavy and expectations are high in both tactical ability and management of the department which comprises about 1/3 of the 130 man crew.

As we contemplate making Connecticut our home for the next few years (and maybe longer), we are sure enjoying the cool weather brought by the approaching Fall. Yes, we have four seasons here in New England as opposed to the pseudo-seasons we get in Texas. Regardless, we hope the winter treats us kindly. I will likely be punished for degrading Texas with a blizzard of epic proportions. All Hail, Texas- where you can't shovel sunshine.

10 comments:

Abby said...

It's nice to get an idea of what you'll be doing...I just pictured you kind of wandering around a submarine...but navigator, well, that's serious business! Don't be afraid to stop and ask for directions!

enginerd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emma Jo said...

We're Oh so proud...I feel like I should be getting you school supplies...you know, a ruler, a protractor and grease pencils...I'll even put it in a nifty hot wheels pencil box. Love you.
(PS I accidentally signed in as you and then deleted it.)

mo said...

Wow, don't run into any big rocks or whales or anything or they may make you pay for the sub! That would hurt the old family budget, huh? But seriously, I am so proud of you and all the responsibility you have taken on. It's good to know the USS Annapolis will be in such good hands.

zippity-do-da said...

I'm excited and a little scared. Is it like in the movies: dark and glowy, lots of yelling, and no smiles allowed? It's a little too foriegn for us land lubbers. What an amazing job you have.
I'm not offended by your Texas slights- I'm totally jealous that you don't have to endure them anymore! Send me some red and yellow leaves in the mail.

Suebee said...

It is a tricky position to be in, husband/father/navigator. You love your family and don't ever want to be away from them, but you have an awesome job that so few people get to experience, so you get really excited when you actually get to go and do it. We wives are just lucky that you enjoy what you do and are still so glad to come home to us when you are finished. Best of luck when you head off. We will be here supporting you and your family as best we can.

Mandee said...

Congratualation! We hope to see Emily lots and lots while you are gone.

IM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
IM said...

Congratulations. Sounds like a lot of responsibility, but it makes me feel good knowing there are folks like you out there ready to take it on. Also congratulations on the soon-to-be addition to the family. If it makes you feel any better the likelihood of having four consecutive girls is only 0.063 (however the 50/50 likelihood still holds on this instance).

The Burkinshaws said...

I miss you all and wish that we lived closer.... XOXO