Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Remembering 9/11

Haley was 11 days old on September 11, 2001. We were living in Charleston, SC and I was fully engaged in the Navy's nuclear prototype training pipeline. This is a phase of a submariner's training where they finally get out of the classroom and get some great hands-on training on two retired submarines. (Stripped of most of the normal submarine systems and left with the nuclear reactor and engine room intact) As Nolan is about to find out- it was a pretty intense time. The training goes around the clock in shiftwork.

I was just getting off shift on that Tuesday morning. I usually got home around 730 and headed right to the rack, but Mo was up early with baby Haley. I stayed up to spend some time with Haley and turned on the TV. The first plane had already hit, and right there before our eyes, Mo and I watched the second plane hit. Needless to say, we were glued to the TV the rest of the day.
I am profoundly grateful for the country in which we live. I feel indebted to those who have served and given the ultimate sacrifice-past and present- that we can enjoy the freedoms that we take so often take for granted. It is hard to see so many lives lost in Iraq, Afghanistan and across the world. Yet I believe in the cause of the Iraqi war, both for their national security and ours. Don't tell me its not worth it when a larger percentage of Iraqis come out to vote under the threat of death than Americans.

The fact is there are evil people in the world that are actively seeking the destruction of western civilization, why?- Because we are the wrong religion- I don't think so. That is just the cover story. Democracy, capitalism and globalization rob those evil men of their power and oppression over the masses. Today, I am glad to live in a country and be a part of an organization that recognizes the threats and defends the lives of our citizens, even the ones that fail to see the signs. I'll never forget how I felt that morning. What did you feel, what do you remember?

6 comments:

Emma Jo said...

I felt numb and scared but I felt closer and more endeared to my little new family...and it even strengthened my patriotism and support of the divine leaders of this country...yes, I said divine, people that I respect who have integrity and moral character and act on the best interest of a country and ideal that they love and treasure even more than I do.

Sadie Lou said...

all i can remember is driving in the car with mom to go pick up ethan or something and hearing it over and over on the radio. and mom not saying anything. it made me scared.

Sadie Lou said...

like we would have to leave our homes or be slaves.

zippity-do-da said...

I'm a bit ashamed to admit my reaction. I was running along a lonely county road in Colorado with a friend, expecting my first child. A neighbor ran out of her house to tell us, and I didn't believe her. I really just wanted to keep running. We went inside and watched the horror on her TV. I left as soon as I could. I went home and having no TV or radio or newspaper or computer- I pretended it did not happen. I don't know if it was too overwhelming to handle or what; but I spent at least 3 weeks determined that all was well with the world. Each year I not only remember the horror, but the courage and strength of so many. I have spent many hours trying to redeem myself by learning as much as I can about the people who did not have the luxury to pretend.

mo said...

I think the scene you described--of us watching that 2nd plance hit and the realization that the first one was not just some random accident but a deliberate act--it is imbedded in my memory forever. Somehow that day was the end of innocence for America. If we ignore that wakeup call, we aren't very bright. There are people in the world who are devoting their lives to destoying what America is and what it stands for. I'll never be the same.

Mandee said...

I was at work. Everyone sat around the computer watching in disbelief as we watched the towers fall. And then the chaos of trying to get through security so I could get home. I just remember wanting desperately to get home. Mo is right, that day was the end of innocence.